Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Yesterday's Dinner

Ok, after the inaugural post, this blog settles down to the food proper. Here's my lunch and dinner yesterday, with the recipe for the dinner meal written. No recipe for lunch, coz there's no recipe involved, unless you count dumping pre-made/raw food together a recipe!

Lunch: Pickled herring marinated in akvavit on arugula and cherry tomatoes


I certainly did not pickle the herring myself. Even if I did know how to, I don't know where to find fresh herring! These were bought from Ikea some time ago. They have a respectable selection of pickled herrings there, and most are pretty good. And cheap! I believe its only slightly more than $3.

Dinner: Grilled chicken fillet marinated in paprika with rosemary, with grilled portobello and swiss browns with chives.

Simply marinate chicken with desired amount of paprika ( a lot) and rosemary. I added some tabasco for added heat. Add suitable amount of salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, heat up the grill pan. Slice portobellos and swiss browns into thick slices, and start grilling them with salt and pepper. These are NZ mushrooms from carrefour, rather than the usual Malaysia ones. They certainly taste MUCH better. And they aren't much more expensive either! The portobello were going for $4.90 per pack, compared to the usual $4.50.

When the mushrooms are say 1/3 done, throw the chickies onto the grill pan! And when the mushrooms are close to done, throw in a handfull of chives! Toss around on the pan, and remove onto a plate. The chives adds certain flavour to the dish that I like!

For the chicken, I guess it would take 3 mins each side? I don't really time my cooking...But I guess if I want to start writing recipes, I'll have to start taking note!...In any case, a definitive check for doneness (mine at least, is to wave the chicken about and see if it is limp ( still uncooked) or or starting to harden (about to be cooked).

Serve and eat when everything's done!

Ingredients:

Chicken fillets

Paprika

Rosemary

Tabasco (if ya desire)

Portobello and Swiss brown mushrooms

Chives

Salt and pepper


No comments: